There are a wide variety of ant species. Below are a list of some of the most common ant species:
- Carpenter ant
- Field ant
- Fire ant
- Pharaoh ant
- Acrobat ant
- Mound ant
- Harvester ant
- Pavement ant
- Moisture ant
- Crazy ant
The most common types of ant that can become a pest are Carpenter ants, Pharaoh ants, Pavement ants and Acrobat ants.
Do you have Ants or Termites?
There are a few ways to quickly determine what sort of ant or termite pests you have in your property.
- Both ants and termites have 4 wings. However, the wings of termites are usually even. Ants have bigger wings in front than in back.
- Ant’s antenna are bent, while termites are almost straight
- Wings on termites are at least 2x larger than their body, while ant wings are fairly proportional
- Ants are clearly separated into segments because the middle/waist is narrow. Termites are typically uniform across the body
If you have termites, the problem is serious – contact us to explore Termite removal solutions from Pesticon.
Solving Problems with Ants
When dealing with Ants, figure out where the problem is. Are the ants all indoors, or is the problem outside?
For outside ants that are entering your property and taking food back out:
- Make sure that cracks are caulked and sealed. However it might not be possible to seal all points since ants are very stubborn and will find a way
- Try and trace the point of entry. Then clean with soap/chemical to wash away ant pheromones. Follow up with repellent and insecticide
- If the problem isn’t controlled, seek help from an expert
For ants that are inside and infesting your property, in many cases, Ants will find a spot inside your property and will create a nest. This is especially true for Toronto, after our long winter will ants will shelter indoors after a long period of cold. Ant species that live indoors are Carpenter Ants, Argentine Ants, Crazy Ants, Thief Ants, Pavement Ants, Odorous House Ants, etc. Some ways to deal with indoor ants.
- Track the nests through various ant trails, clean with soap/detergent to wipe of pheromones
- Use ant bait food to try and have the ants carry it back to the colony and kill the queen
- As a last resort you can try chemical sprays, however you may find that ants tend to avoid areas that have been sprayed and this will not really get to the infestation
Pesticon offers the best pest control services in Toronto that our backed by our 6 months guarantee. We will visit your property free of charge if your pest problems persist as your satisfaction is our number 1 priority!