Bed bugs are oval-shaped and lack wings, unlike most insects. They are only about 18 inches long in adulthood. They exist all over the world and can survive in temperatures ranging from 46 to 113 degrees Fahrenheit. It is usual for them to live on or near beds, usually within eight feet of a bed. They feed on blood. Although they do not spread disease, their bites are itchy and irritating. The bed bug does not have wings, so it moves around crawling. Bed bugs can be carried from place to place by people, often without their knowledge. You can, however, prevent bed bugs from spreading if you take a few steps. If you can’t, you can always opt for bed bug removal in Guelph.
How Do Bed Bugs Reproduce?
Every week, female bed bugs lay between five and seven eggs. Proper feeding equates to more than 250 eggs in a lifetime.
Hatching takes approximately ten days. Bed bugs must go through five nymphal stages (youth) to become adults. Their exoskeleton is shed between each stage. Each time a bed bug molts, it needs to feed at least once, but it can feed several times daily. A bed bug can take between 2 and 4 months to grow fully.
How Do Bed Bugs Spread?
Due to their lack of wings, bed bugs must crawl to move around. Consequently, bed bug infestations can spread slowly in some cases. But they can get in and out of walls, go through floor and ceiling openings, and travel on pipes.
It is most common for bed bugs to travel from one location to another when spread by clothing, linens, or furniture. Therefore, bed bugs will be transferred from place to place much more rapidly than they would have been able to do on their own. In contrast to lice, bed bugs do not travel directly from person to person. Bed bugs can, however, infest clothing. People can spread bed bugs to others without even realizing it.
How to Eliminate Bed Bugs From Your Homes
Regularly checking for signs of an infestation is the best way to stop the spread of bed bugs. By doing so, you can eliminate bed bugs from spreading early. You can also do the following to prevent bed bug infestations:
- Clean your bedroom and remove any clutter that may hide bed bugs, especially clothing.
- Secondhand furniture should be avoided. Before bringing it into your home, make sure it is free of bed bugs.
- Mattresses and box springs should be covered with a protective cover.
- Maintain a regular vacuuming schedule.
- When you travel, make sure your sleeping area is clean.
- Instead of leaving your bag on the ground or the bed, put it on a bag stand in hotels.
- Before returning home, examine your luggage and clothing.
- Put your clothes in a plastic bag if you use communal laundry facilities. Fold your clothes at home as soon as your clothes come out of the dryer.
- If your home has cracks or crevices, seal them.
If you already have a bed bug infestation in your home in Guelph, call an expert pest control company immediately. The sooner they start, the sooner you can get rid of bed bugs.
Even though bed bugs don’t have wings, it doesn’t stop them from spreading. They can go from house to house in Guelph through clothes and furniture. Make sure that you inspect your clothes and the furniture you bring in. Also, clean your home regularly. For more information, contact us, and we would be glad to help.